Dear faculty and teaching staff,
Earlier in summer, we had requested you to provide your instructional IT needs for the Fall semester. We received the requests from most of the faculty. Based on those requests, IT has acquired all the requested software and has prepared the new Computer Clusters configurations. The requested software installed on the PCs across all clusters, classrooms, and Library. The clusters, classrooms, and Library PCs are also upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 2016 as part of our annual late summer software refresh.
Please verify the Cluster configuration for your software requests and let us know your feedback. You may access the Cluster configuration for your software using any of the following methods:
- Use any of the PCs available in Clusters and Classrooms
- VMware View Client or a Web Browser
- Visit https://virtual.qatar.cmu.edu
- You may download the VMware View client or use the HTML access to login to the virtual cluster and verify your software. Virtual.qatar can be accessed from anywhere without VPN. This virtual cluster has the same set of configuration that we installed in the physical clusters (1032, 1185, and 2035).
- Remote Desktop Client on your machine
- If you are off campus, then please make a VPN connection to the campus (if you have not done this before, then please start at https://vpn.qatar.cmu.edu)
- Start the Remote Desktop Connection program on your computer
- In the Remote Desktop Connection program, enter one of the following as computer name
- Once you connect, you should enter your username (“qatar\<AndrewID>”) and password. You will then be remotely connected to the test computer. You will be asked to accept a certificate, which you should accept.
Please verify the software that you requested and let us know if you encounter any problems. Send a detailed description of the problems (with exact text of error messages) to email@example.com.
With your help, we can make sure that you do not encounter any problems when you or your students need to use the software in the Clusters.
Nasser Alaeddine, Ph.D.
Director of Educational and Media Technologies