In this section
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- WiFi Access
- WiFi Guest Access
- Wired Network Connections
- Some link
- Some other link
We provide you with a fast and reliable networking system here at CMU-Q whether it be wired, Wi-Fi or a VPN connection. Wired connections are available for you to utilize in offices, clusters, library or wherever you a CMU provided computer is located. Wi-Fi is also available everywhere internally in the building. If you have a personal system and want to work from home or on the road while still wishing to stay connected to the CMU network, then you should connect to our Virtual Private Network (VPN).
This is a high-speed wired network with speeds of up-to 1 Gigabits per second. Only CMU provided computers are authorized to connect to the wired network. Users are strictly forbidden from connecting personal devices to the wired network unless instructed to do so by IT. This should be your choice of connection when you are working with and transferring files over the network.
Wi-Fi Access for Students/Faculty/Staff
As a CMU affiliate, you should choose to connect to the CMUQ-SECURE as your preferred Wi-Fi network and take advantage of all the services we have to provide to you. It allows you to connect your personal machines to the internet and other local services such as file share and printing services.
Wi-Fi Access for Guests/Visitors
If you are a guest/visitor at CMU-Q, you can connect to one of the 2 available Wi-Fi connections (depending on who you are):
- CMUQ-GUEST: if you are a visitor who does not have a valid Andrew ID or a “.edu” email address, then this should be your preferred network connection. CMUQ-GUEST does not provide you access to the CMU services such as file share and printing, it only provides you with internet access. You must have a working mobile phone to receive an authorization code via SMS when setting up the connection.
- eduroam: allows students, researchers, and staff from participating institutions to obtain internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions. In order to set up the connection, users must use their “.edu” email address to login. For all CMU and CMU-Q affiliates, you must login using the following format: “AndrewID@andrew.cmu.edu”. eduroam does not provide you access to the CMU services such as file share and printing, it only provides you with internet access.
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
In order to work from home (or from any part of the world) with access to campus resources, you can connect to one of the following VPN addresses:
- vpn.qatar.cmu.edu: you can select one of the 3 levels of access: (1) access to campus services (e.g. file share, printing), (2) access to all of the library resources using your web browser, (3) or a full access.
- vpn.cmu.edu: you can select one of the 2 levels of access: (1) general use VPN and (2) access to licensed library resources.
To learn more about VPN and how to connect, click here.